Ice Sports Association (ISA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation founded to promote the benefits of all ice-based recreational activities for youth and other ice users in Sioux Falls and the upper Midwest region. ISA's priority initiative was the development of the SCHEELS IcePlex, a project that opened its doors in October of 2014. This community facility became a reality thanks to the unified efforts of all ice user groups, countless private donors, Sanford Health, SCHEELS, the City of Sioux Falls, and the business community in the Sioux Falls area.
ISA was co-organized and founded by Joe Zueger, President of Workplace I.T. Management, Greg Starnes, attorney with the Woods Fuller Law Firm and Ben Graham, CEO of Bell, Inc. The primary goal of ISA is to increase the quality, access and availability of indoor ice in the Sioux Falls area.
The first step in building equity for the project was to lead a private fundraising effort to further educate the community on the need for adequate ice facilities and for all ice user groups, especially the youth of Sioux Falls, along with adult and recreational skaters.
To that end, the ISA commissioned a comprehensive feasibility study by the Steier Group in the summer of 2010. Not surprisingly, the study concluded that there is overwhelming support from the Sioux Falls area for construction of a new ice sports facility capable of housing three sheets of indoor ice.
Building on the momentum of the favorable feasibility study, ISA directors hired Sue Salter as Executive Director in the Fall of 2010, ramping up the Leadership fundraising phase of a capital campaign that raised more than $3.5 million for the project.
Following that success, ISA worked with the City of Sioux Falls in forming a partnership whereby the City appropriated $1.5 million in its 2013 Capital Improvement Program budget to purchase ice-making equipment and supplies for the new community facility.
A Chamber-approved Community Appeals drive to local and area businesses in the Spring of 2013 yielded an addtional $1.54+ million for the project.
Sanford Health provided more than 11 acres of prime real estate for the 3-sheet facility, along with room for expansion to a fourth sheet, at the site of the Sanford Sports Complex located on north Westport Avenue and Benson Road, just east of Interstate 29 and west of the regional airport.
THANK YOU to our FUNDRAISING LEADERSHP TEAM!
*** = Denotes Board of Directors
• Mark Arndt, May & Johnson Law Firm
• David Bain, Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc. • Steve Bianchi, Home Federal Bank
• Dr. Scott Boyens, Sanford Clinic
• Jeffrey Brecht, Merrill Lynch
• Rod Carlson, Sanford Health
• Matt Carlson, Carl V. Carlson Company
• Garth Caselli, SCHEELS
• Paul Clinton, Clark Engineering
• Alex Connelly, Culligan Water
• R. Blake Curd, Orthopedic Institute
• Dana Dykhouse, First PREMIER Bank
• David Edwards, Breit Law Office, P.C.
• Chris Eng, Summit Hotel Properties
• Brian Grady, Great Western Bank
• Patty Grady, Sioux Falls Figure Skating Club
• Benjamin Graham***, Bell Incorporated
• Mark Graham, Bell Incorporated
• Nikki Gronli, SDN Communications
• Pete Hegg, Hegg Companies
• Glen Herrick, Meta Bank
• Jack Hopkins, CorTrust Bank
• Jay Huizenga, KELOLAND Television
• Trent Johnson, Wells Fargo Bank
• Vince Jones, Woods, Fuller, Shultz & Smith P.C.
• Roger Kasa Jr., Sioux Empire Amateur Hockey Association
• Dr. Brian Knutson, Avera Medical Group
• Bryan Kouri, Kouri Insurance
• Craig Lloyd, Lloyd Companies
• Pierce McDowell, South Dakota Trust Company
• Wendy McDonnel, Kilian Community College
• Tom McDowell, McDowell Financial Group
• Bret Menke, Pride Neon
• Mark Mickelson, Mickelson & Company
• Ron Moquist
• Tom Nieman, Midco Sports Network
• Dr. Gregory Osmundson, Ophthalmology Ltd.
• Brian Prisbe,Citi • Sue Salter - Sanford Health
• Steve Sarbacker, Cutler and Donahoe, LLP
• John Sievert, Total Support Solutions
• Greg Starnes***, Woods, Fuller, Schultz & Smith
• Jennifer Starnes, McGowan Capital Group
• Mike Stelling, Granite Transformations
• Chris Thorkelson, Lloyd Companies
• Matt Tobin, South Dakota Trust Company
• Mark West, Raven Industries
• Joe Wilson, Austad's Golf
• Joe Zueger***, Workplace I.T. Management
• Kristen Hegg Zueger, VanBuskirk Companies
*** = Denotes Board of Directors